Deadline to Apply: October 31, 2019
Job Title: Camp Director
14751 Harvey St
Vandalia, Michigan 49095
Camp Fire Camp Tannadoonah is seeking our next amazing Camp Director! This position is a full-time year-round position. The Camp Director will join a dedicated team of camp and youth development professionals dedicated to changing the lives of our campers and staff.
About Camp Tannadoonah
Founded in 1921, Camp Tannadoonah is a summer camp and event facility located on 45 acres in beautiful Southwest Lower Michigan. The camp is just 45 minutes from South Bend, Indiana, 90 minutes from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and 2 hours from Chicago, Illinois. As a part of Camp Fire, a national youth development organization, at Camp Tannadoonah we help youth find their sparks, develop growth mindset, build goal-management skills, and reflect on their experiences. We believe that youth aren’t just future leaders, they’re leaders now. To learn more about our camp programs, visit http://tannadoonah.org
The Camp Director reports to the Executive Director and Camp Fire River Bend Board of Directors. The Camp Director is responsible for the development, promotion, and operation of all of our camp programs, including eight weeks of summer camp, staff hiring and training, spring and fall events, and user groups. The Camp Director will also assist the After School Program Director with the development and operations of our After School program during the school year.
The main purpose of the role is to ensure that our campers, staff, volunteers, visitors, and user groups have the best possible camp experience. This includes overseeing program development and delivery, staff hiring and development, organizational management, marketing, food services, health services, and building relationships with all stakeholders (campers, parents, staff, volunteers, alumni, donors, visitors, etc.). The Camp Director ensures that all camp programs are carried out in accordance with the values and mission of Camp Fire and Camp Tannadoonah, and in compliance with licensing regulations and American Camp Association (ACA) standards.
The Camp Director role is dynamic, demanding, and constantly evolving.
We are seeking applicants who are enthusiastic, dedicated, and adaptable to
take on this exciting role. The ideal candidate is one wants to work in a
rewarding, challenging, and high-energy environment, and is self-motivated and
willing to do whatever needs to be done in order to make the camp experience
incredible for all of our participants, parents, staff, volunteers, and
Program Development and Delivery
- Lead the strategic vision of the summer camp and off-season programs, to ensure they achieve our goals and mission, and meet the needs and interests of campers and their parents.
- Coordinate and oversee the daily operations at Camp Tannadoonah.
- Ensure that all camp programs comply with the goals and mission of Camp Fire and Camp Tannadoonah, comply with State of Michigan licensing regulations, and ACA standards.
Staffing and Human Resources
- Work with the Executive Director to recruit, hire, and train a qualified and dedicated staff team.
- Provide consistent leadership to camp staff through training, ongoing check-ins, formal and informal feedback, coaching, weekly evaluations (during camp), and performance reviews.
- Foster an effective, collaborative, and creative work environment that supports staff and volunteers in their personal and professional development.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and publish the annual camp calendar.
- Oversee participant registration, registration paperwork, and staff and participant schedules.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and monitor the camp budget.
- Plan and organize the weekly / monthly / annual schedules for the program, and ensure that supplies are purchased, organized, and prepared in a timely manner for program needs.
- Maintain and implement an overall Risk Management plan.
Administration and Promotion
- Represent and promote camp programs to potential participants and parents to maximize the number of youth served, within the limits of licensing guidelines.
- Attend camp fairs, job fairs, home visits, school events, community events, conferences and workshops, and other events to reach potential participants and their parents.
- Actively pursue funding and promotional opportunities.
- Create and implement marketing plans for the camp program.
- Foster and strengthen relationships with the local community, planning and implementing opportunities to engage potential campers, parents, volunteers, donors, and user groups.
- Foster and strengthen relationships with current participants, parents, and alumni.
After School Program
- Assist the After School Program director in the design and delivery of an After School program that meets the needs and interests of participants and parents.
- Fill in as-needed for After School Program Staff.
- Provide the highest level of customer service to parents, participants, visitors, and user groups.
- Act as a positive role model for campers, staff, volunteers, and visitors, by embodying the mission and values of Camp Tannadoonah and Camp Fire.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Board of Directors.
- Four (4) or more years of camping experience in senior management and/or leadership role.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a child-related field, or equivalent degree and experience in order to qualify as a Program Director per the Michigan Licensing Requirements for After School Programs (see https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-89334_63294_5529_49572_49575_62288-283094–,00.html for details on necessary qualifications)
- Ability to live on site at camp during the months of June, July, and August.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to communicate with campers, parents, staff, volunteers, and visitors of all ages.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Possess the mental and physical strength and endurance to work long days, especially in the months of June, July, and August, while maintaining constant supervision of participants, staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and with flexibility, in order to respond to rapidly shifting priorities.
- Strong computer literacy including Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, multiple Social Media platforms, and previous experience with a CRM (customer relationship management software) is an asset.
- Hold (or be willing to acquire) CPR, AED, and First Aid certification.
- Lifeguard or LGI certification is an asset, but not required.
Compensation and Benefits
The Camp Director position offers a base salary of $35,000 – $40,000 USD, commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the Camp Director will have an annual training budget to aid in personal and professional development. Benefits include a health insurance stipend, two weeks of paid vacation, plus an additional week of paid vacation at the conclusion of the summer camp season, and at least one full week between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day. Housing and meals are provided during the summer camp season (approximately June 1 through August 15). Flex time will be allocated for time worked on evenings, weekends, or holidays during the months of September through May (outside of the summer camp season).
Please email your resume and cover letter to Amber Grundy, Executive Director at email@example.com by October 31st, 2019.
We thank you for your interest in this position. Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Camp Fire Camp Tannadoonah
14751 Harvey St.
Vandalia, MI 49095