Camp Fire River Bend | Camp Tannadoonah

June 5 Camp Update

Click to watch a video message from our Camp Tannadoonah Director, Adam Lucassian

5 June 2020

Dear Camp Families,

We are excited to tell you that we are still hoping to go ahead with July and August sessions of overnight camp at Tannadoonah this summer. We are still awaiting final approval from the State of Michigan, and the finalized guidelines from the State.

We are currently running Day Camp programs through the month of June, and we have plenty of spaces available if you want to send your campers!

We are working right now to prepare all of the policies and procedures, and changes we need to make to ensure the safety of our campers and staff for overnight programs. We have been consulting guidelines from the American Camp Association (ACA), the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), State of Michigan licensing (LARA), and the local health department. When these new policies have been finalized, we will share them with all of our camp families.

We know that not all families will feel comfortable sending campers to camp this year, and we completely understand. We're ready for your camper to be here, if you're ready for your camper to be here.

We are still waiting for the final approval from Michigan, and it IS still possible that we will not be able to have overnight camp sessions. When our region of Michigan moves to stage 5, we have been told that overnight camps will be allowed to operate. We are currently in stage 4, and the Governor's office has said they are hopeful that all of Michigan will be at least stage 5 by the end of June.

The state is also working on guidelines for overnight camps, and once we receive those we need to evaluate whether we can offer the camp experience you and your campers expect, while following the safety procedures outlined by the state. We will keep you informed as soon as we know more.

The decision to cancel all of our June sessions, the reduction in camper numbers for our later sessions (if we are still able to move forward), as well as the cancellation of all of our spring programs does unfortunately have a financial impact. If you wish to make a donation to help us during this time, we would gratefully accept contributions to support camp so that we can remain sustainable through this crisis and for many more years to come.

We’ve prepared a Q&A page that will answer the questions we anticipate parents, campers, alumni and friends of camp may have, and others as they come up. Thank you for your support and patience as we try to navigate this very unusual summer.

Amber Grundy, Ph.D.
CEO, Camp Fire River Bend

Adam Lucassian
Camp Tannadoonah Camp Director

Sharon Hayward
Chair, Board of Directors of Camp Fire River Bend

Our Promise

Young people want to shape the world.

Camp Fire provides the opportunity to find their spark, lift their voice, and discover who they are.

In Camp Fire, it begins now.

Light the fire within